RIP Gav

R.I.P. Gav - 21/9/2011 - Our beloved Gavin Larkin passed away this afternoon at 3.28pm. He was surrounded by his family and the love that he has created. He will never be forgotten for who he was, how he lived and what he has left behind. I know I speak on behalf of all that knew him when I say Gav, thank you for being you. The world is a better place for having had you in it.
The Larkin family would like to thank everybody who has contributed to this blog. The messages have been a constant source of support and wonderful memories that the family will cherish forever. They have been overwhelmed by all the good wishes, lovely words, food & flowers. The community around Gavin, Maryanne, Gus, Josie and Van has been wonderful and made an enormous difference. Thank you to all.

May we suggest, if you would like to offer further support, in lieu of flowers, please make a donation to one of the following nominated causes: RUOK? Day Donations or Cure For Life




Monday 12 September 2011

Paul Shipley

Gav,
Shippers here old mate. I bumped into Tamara and Tim Hickey last week and they passed on the details of your blog so here I am “Big Unit.”
Gav, we first met at Singo’s in 1997 and we quickly discovered we shared a mutual love of sport and especially Rugby League trivia. Re living all of the past greats of the game brought a smile to my face every day and the cry of “Kevin” would ring out loud and true throughout Singo’s every time I had the chance. “Kevin” of course being the Rugby League journeyman Kevin Campion. We became strong mates during this time and I had the opportunity to meet Maz & Gus and enjoy dinner at your home several times. I’m pretty sure I celebrated the birth of Gus via the presentation of a Wallabies jumper and had his name inscribed on the back? It was fantastic to welcome you and Maz into my home at Manly and I recall a very funny and pissy night one Summer sitting around the dining room table which is exactly where I find myself now writing to you.
Gav, then there was the touch footie team and your constant struggle to play under the 100kg mark. Hence the call of “Big Unit” or 1 tonner. I enjoyed our time in the Singo’s squad at Queens Park when the 1 tonner would go to the line, step off his right foot and pop a short ball to a flying Brian Smith or throw a cut out pass to Shippers lurking wide. Great memories indeed. One thing that resonates with me is your ability to never forget your mates and every Xmas I would receive a random invite to your office Xmas party (namely Brand Shop) of recent times. I would always attend, have a laugh and a couple of beers and witness your annual client speech which was always slick and delivered with consummate professionalism.
Gav, I’ll be watching Australian Story tonight and will no doubt be inspired by this insight. One thing I know about life is that respect earns respect and I have this in truckloads for you 1 tonner.
I love ya Big Unit.
Shippers.
Regards,

Paul Shipley

No comments:

Post a Comment