RIP Gav

R.I.P. Gav - 21/9/2011 - Our beloved Gavin Larkin passed away this afternoon at 3.28pm. He was surrounded by his family and the love that he has created. He will never be forgotten for who he was, how he lived and what he has left behind. I know I speak on behalf of all that knew him when I say Gav, thank you for being you. The world is a better place for having had you in it.
The Larkin family would like to thank everybody who has contributed to this blog. The messages have been a constant source of support and wonderful memories that the family will cherish forever. They have been overwhelmed by all the good wishes, lovely words, food & flowers. The community around Gavin, Maryanne, Gus, Josie and Van has been wonderful and made an enormous difference. Thank you to all.

May we suggest, if you would like to offer further support, in lieu of flowers, please make a donation to one of the following nominated causes: RUOK? Day Donations or Cure For Life




Thursday 22 September 2011

Tess

Dear Larkin Family,
I have never felt compelled to write a letter like this before now. I watched Gavin’s and your story on ‘Australian Story’ recently.
It really struck a chord with me as I am a long time sufferer of bi-polar disorder, with terrible episodes of deep depression at times.
I had been indulging in thoughts of suicide at the time I watched your story.
It made me feel ashamed and selfish to have such feelings with people like Gavin fighting so bravely to stay alive.
I am medicated and see a psychiatrist regularly and am not at risk of acting on my feelings of hopelessness.
The grace and dignity with which your family deal with such an unfair situation is inspirational to me. I reflect on some of the things Gavin has said on the program and the courage of all family members. It truly does help me have a better perspective on my own life and family and how precious both are.
Thank you for sharing your story with people, I imagine it wasn’t an easy thing to do.
I wish you all a very happy and peaceful future,
Yours Sincerely,
Tess

No comments:

Post a Comment