RIP Gav

R.I.P. Gav - 21/9/2011 - Our beloved Gavin Larkin passed away this afternoon at 3.28pm. He was surrounded by his family and the love that he has created. He will never be forgotten for who he was, how he lived and what he has left behind. I know I speak on behalf of all that knew him when I say Gav, thank you for being you. The world is a better place for having had you in it.
The Larkin family would like to thank everybody who has contributed to this blog. The messages have been a constant source of support and wonderful memories that the family will cherish forever. They have been overwhelmed by all the good wishes, lovely words, food & flowers. The community around Gavin, Maryanne, Gus, Josie and Van has been wonderful and made an enormous difference. Thank you to all.

May we suggest, if you would like to offer further support, in lieu of flowers, please make a donation to one of the following nominated causes: RUOK? Day Donations or Cure For Life




Wednesday 27 July 2011

Andrew Heys

Gav
I just don’t know what to say to you and your family, I’m so lost for words, but maybe you’d like to hear how you were perceived over many decades by a kindred spirit; a fellow Gen x’er and golf nut?
I have many fond memories of moments spent with you I’d like to share with you and others coming to this space to share stories about you and your life and to connect.
I remember you as a sports hero growing up on the north shore; you in Willoughby colours me in lane cove. 1979 is a beautiful timeless period in my mind, maybe in yours too, the cicadas croaking and the smell of freshly mowed lawns? Mostly we were opponents on the football and cricket field, but occasionally you were a team mate… you were a fierce competitor ; I would have preferred you on my side. We were only about 12 but I can remember you clearly, you always looked the part playing sport, a glamour no.10
Much later we would often meet at Aya (+Del’s gigs) and be the one’s with a beer in hand up the back. Somehow it seemed to me we were both a little bit like outsiders in that muso world.
I remember your speech at Barry’s memorial – you seemed very staunch and brave. Very grown up, a rock in the face of so much confusion and hurt you all felt - we all felt. That moment has stuck in my mind…
More recently I remember you at Watsons Bay when Aya and Lee were visiting a few summers ago and we laughed at some silly shared memories, both in suits after work, everyone else in boardies.
I remember having a few beers to farewell Aya after a recent trip as the sun set at Icebergs. A memory was shared by Aya about how you bowled over all in the way when your first saw Maz at a party a lifetime ago to make your play. It was clear from the story how in love you were from the start.
More recently I remember an invitation to play golf and your phone message about the Match – what a wonderful book it is. You seem to know what to say so intuitively, even in a voice message.
I think we could have been really close had you stayed at NSBHS and not gone east. I got your brother as a best friend instead. He is like a brother to me as he is to you, Del, Rick Laura and many many others. Reading this blog it sounds like you are like a brother to so many people not to mention a lover, a friend, a dad, son, boss and sparring mate.
You Larkins are a wonderful family and YOU are such a key link mate. You are greatly loved and make a big big difference in this world.
Peace + love to you and all your family.
Naiba - Andrew Heys

No comments:

Post a Comment