RIP Gav

R.I.P. Gav - 21/9/2011 - Our beloved Gavin Larkin passed away this afternoon at 3.28pm. He was surrounded by his family and the love that he has created. He will never be forgotten for who he was, how he lived and what he has left behind. I know I speak on behalf of all that knew him when I say Gav, thank you for being you. The world is a better place for having had you in it.
The Larkin family would like to thank everybody who has contributed to this blog. The messages have been a constant source of support and wonderful memories that the family will cherish forever. They have been overwhelmed by all the good wishes, lovely words, food & flowers. The community around Gavin, Maryanne, Gus, Josie and Van has been wonderful and made an enormous difference. Thank you to all.

May we suggest, if you would like to offer further support, in lieu of flowers, please make a donation to one of the following nominated causes: RUOK? Day Donations or Cure For Life




Sunday 31 July 2011

Nik Watson

Hey Gav,

Nik Watson here. I’ve been pouring over your amazing blog posts from friends and family with laughter (belly laughter) and tears. What a great way for me to get to know so much more about you! (Thanks Aya for giving me, and so many of us, a place to know more about Gav and to share our own experience of Gav).

I’ll never forget first hearing about you Gav. It was over seven years ago and I’d just joined Foxtel and Vick said “You’ll enjoy working with Gav at Y&R. He’s really smart and he’s fair”. Being in advertising for eight years – it was so rare for a client to offer such an introduction and so I was intrigued.

I’d been working with your team a few weeks and hit a snag. I wasn’t sure what to do. I emailed you and asked a pretty simple question (without whining) and you picked up the phone and asked me to come have a coffee with you in an hour.

Not only had you picked up on my issue, you didn’t run around to find out background on what was happening, you just made me the priority and just got straight to the heart of what my issue was. You made me feel like I was the most important person to listen too right then – and with that, the issue just seemed to melt away. This was how I witnessed you resolving many, many everyday agency challenges over the next seven years.

Gav, like a modern day warrior, you walk into almost everything you face head on. From small issues to slaying gigantic dragons, such as depression, for others. On R U OK Day, September 15th this year, it will be phenomenal just how many people reach out to their family, friends, colleagues and even strangers to as R U OK? Just because you built it Gav.

Gav, the absolute depth of love and commitment you have to your family is the most profound picture I get when I think of you. Most times I saw you, there was another fab family adventure, the birth of an angelic bub, or just another day in the Larkin family - and abundant pictures to share. You're eyes simply lit up when you spoke of Maz. You always let the world into your world and for that we’re truly grateful.

You inspire me Gav, to dig really deep and find out what is truly important for me and my loved ones – and to pursue these few things with a force to be reckoned with, and never, ever giving up.

You’re an inspiration to everyone you’ve cared for Gav. On behalf of everyone who you’ve dropped what you were doing for and asked them to have a coffee with you so you could listen to their problems as if no-ne else in the world mattered, thank you.

So much love and warmth to you and your family Gav.
Love Nik xxxx

No comments:

Post a Comment