RIP Gav

R.I.P. Gav - 21/9/2011 - Our beloved Gavin Larkin passed away this afternoon at 3.28pm. He was surrounded by his family and the love that he has created. He will never be forgotten for who he was, how he lived and what he has left behind. I know I speak on behalf of all that knew him when I say Gav, thank you for being you. The world is a better place for having had you in it.
The Larkin family would like to thank everybody who has contributed to this blog. The messages have been a constant source of support and wonderful memories that the family will cherish forever. They have been overwhelmed by all the good wishes, lovely words, food & flowers. The community around Gavin, Maryanne, Gus, Josie and Van has been wonderful and made an enormous difference. Thank you to all.

May we suggest, if you would like to offer further support, in lieu of flowers, please make a donation to one of the following nominated causes: RUOK? Day Donations or Cure For Life




Monday 8 August 2011

Ben Atuell

Hey Gav, you were my new friend at a new school.. it was 1982 and we were instant close mates, 14 / 15. You knew all the girls names, had them rated, and made up merciless names for almost everyone (I was mockingly "Action Man" or "a Spokesmodel"). Too much cryingly funny stuff to mention: your insane impression of winning an Olympic walking race: powering to the line, double pumping overhead claim at the finish; in a "Happy Days" moment we double dated the Wood twins (hi Dani and Michelle); you bought me a fully laminated "licence to get high" (where did you get that?) complete with photo and no expiry date... still partially in use. I got a job at McDonalds so you jumped out of my wardrobe in the uniform including Hamburgler necklace pen, paying out on me brutally - I quit (thanks). You always sported cutting edge 80's fashion on our forays into the night - adolescents, stupid with excitement hunting the unknown. Amazing fun and good times ..you always had an appetite.

Gav, your friendship was highly demanding but you loved your buddies like family. Sure footed when I was self-conscious, you were always fearless, made your shortcomings into nothings, backed yourself beyond expectation and made it work. Commitment - no excuses. Qualities you've lived by. We all shared initial adventures on our pathway to manhood - only we know - you can't replicate that.

Then the real stuff; love, family, hard work, loss, more challenges, rewards and pitfalls.. all dealt with in your inimitable style and with outlandish humour. You and your family have been dealt some painful blows lately and my heart goes out. I've shed tears... I'll give the lovely Maz a hug when I see her next.

We've kind of missed the last 20 years of each other, but now it seems in your post-corporate ascetic period you've become a teacher and convener for human good - an exemplar of truths and a compass to many.. I'm full of admiration mate, you've found a way to live gracefully, and you've become an amazing man Gavin. Good on you for showing the way to others and demonstrating rare and pure ways of being.

I love you.

Ben.

No comments:

Post a Comment