RIP Gav

R.I.P. Gav - 21/9/2011 - Our beloved Gavin Larkin passed away this afternoon at 3.28pm. He was surrounded by his family and the love that he has created. He will never be forgotten for who he was, how he lived and what he has left behind. I know I speak on behalf of all that knew him when I say Gav, thank you for being you. The world is a better place for having had you in it.
The Larkin family would like to thank everybody who has contributed to this blog. The messages have been a constant source of support and wonderful memories that the family will cherish forever. They have been overwhelmed by all the good wishes, lovely words, food & flowers. The community around Gavin, Maryanne, Gus, Josie and Van has been wonderful and made an enormous difference. Thank you to all.

May we suggest, if you would like to offer further support, in lieu of flowers, please make a donation to one of the following nominated causes: RUOK? Day Donations or Cure For Life




Friday 5 August 2011

John Giro

Earlier this year, the proverbial hit the fan in our family after my daughter was ill and then thankfully recovered. I realised my state of mind after the event was very affected.
Having been exposed to RUOK? Day through Gav, I took some steps and went down a path that gave me the strength to reach out when I needed to, and step off the treadmill. Thanks to RUOK? and to you Gav.
I spoke with Gavin around June this year, after I took some time out and we traded stories. At the time, I knew what he shared with me was special. It’s even more so now.
Our conversation flowed to a point where he spoke of how lucky he is to have Maz and the kids. How strong she has been for him and the family. And how much he loves them all. How lucky he is.
How he discovered the real depth of their love, strength, resolve and support. How they all made a conscious choice and aligned their thoughts in only one direction. How Maz’s strength is an inspiration.
It wasn’t hyperbole. It's, as ever from Gav, absolutely from the heart. I remember speaking to Caroline (my wife) about how lucky I am to have someone share their intimate thoughts with me. What a big heart Gavin has.
It is inspirational. It is aspirational. It is, Gavin Larkin.
I know Gav’s inspired many through determination and single mindedness, but I remain most in awe and inspired by Gav’s love for those closest to him.
I have searched for meaning in the last years, and below is something I’d like to share.
In our Western philosophy we perceive time as something that is finite, which once past is forever lost. There is the present, the future yet to happen and the past that we say is gone.
But I prefer how some Eastern cultures consider time. They think of time as a river. While it has a start, a middle and an end, a river exists as all of these three things, at the same time.
If this is true, then are the present, future and even past always happening at the same time?
What was, is Now.
Now, is Now.
What will be, is Now.

Our love to you and all the Larkin’s.
Johnnie G, Caroline and Nina.

No comments:

Post a Comment