RIP Gav

R.I.P. Gav - 21/9/2011 - Our beloved Gavin Larkin passed away this afternoon at 3.28pm. He was surrounded by his family and the love that he has created. He will never be forgotten for who he was, how he lived and what he has left behind. I know I speak on behalf of all that knew him when I say Gav, thank you for being you. The world is a better place for having had you in it.
The Larkin family would like to thank everybody who has contributed to this blog. The messages have been a constant source of support and wonderful memories that the family will cherish forever. They have been overwhelmed by all the good wishes, lovely words, food & flowers. The community around Gavin, Maryanne, Gus, Josie and Van has been wonderful and made an enormous difference. Thank you to all.

May we suggest, if you would like to offer further support, in lieu of flowers, please make a donation to one of the following nominated causes: RUOK? Day Donations or Cure For Life




Wednesday 24 August 2011

Darren Schaeffer

Hey Gav,



Mate it’s been too long, but the word has spread. I can’t begin to describe what I feel or how often you and the family pop up in my thoughts. Judging by the sheer volume posts and how positive they are I feel like that it has all been said - so eloquently, and so worthy.



The last time we saw each other it was for the briefest moment as I passed you in the foyer of the Ogilvy offices in Christie St. It was my second day on the job after a 10 year absence from the fold, and it was great to see your familiar face. We signalled that we needed to catch up, but as life would have it, we haven’t been afforded the time.



If we did meet now, the conversation probably would not revolve around our time at Singo’s. It wouldn’t be about our touch football prowess and your ability to get that huge frame through the smallest of gaps. Nor would it be about our Saturday morning exercise regime with boxing, Bondi sand runs and the dreaded Coogee stairs. And to speak of that loose behaviour (of which you freely encouraged), that would see the emergence of the ‘White Man Overbite’ on the dance floor would be trivial in such circumstances. Or would it? When I think about it, reflecting on this, and that triumphant victory over Roger Eaton and Greg Creed we had in doubles tennis, or all of those times I had to pay for your coffee after my continual losing streak when ‘rocking’ you for the privilege, I find some comfort in that. See that’s the thing mate. I’ve read some of the posts and as sad as this time is, having read some from the old crew it lifts me up, and I hope it does you too.



Your strength is admirable, your leadership incontestable and your charisma, magnetic. That big smile on your shaven head provides warmth for all those in your company, and to be in your company as a colleague and a friend is a privilege. Know that you have influenced my life and have a hold a big place in my heart for you and the family at this time. If I am in Sydney again soon I might bring coffee – but you’ll have to rock me for it first!



Keep up the fight Gav. I know that you know no other way, but I’m saying it anyway. Keep up the fight mate.

All my love to Maz and the kids.

Darren

No comments:

Post a Comment