RIP Gav

R.I.P. Gav - 21/9/2011 - Our beloved Gavin Larkin passed away this afternoon at 3.28pm. He was surrounded by his family and the love that he has created. He will never be forgotten for who he was, how he lived and what he has left behind. I know I speak on behalf of all that knew him when I say Gav, thank you for being you. The world is a better place for having had you in it.
The Larkin family would like to thank everybody who has contributed to this blog. The messages have been a constant source of support and wonderful memories that the family will cherish forever. They have been overwhelmed by all the good wishes, lovely words, food & flowers. The community around Gavin, Maryanne, Gus, Josie and Van has been wonderful and made an enormous difference. Thank you to all.

May we suggest, if you would like to offer further support, in lieu of flowers, please make a donation to one of the following nominated causes: RUOK? Day Donations or Cure For Life




Thursday 11 August 2011

Chris and Mel Sims

Dear Gav,
the Zoot family arrived today in Zagreb, Croatia.. we are halfway through our European vacation. ( bit like the Griswald's.. I feel more like Clark every day!). We have conquered London, Brugge, Brussels, Amsterdam, Berlin, Vienna, and are now heading south as far as Dubrovnik, before turning west and heading back eventually to France for the start of the school year.
I'm not sure if you have ever done much travelling with kids..I find it frustrating...I have to constantly remind myself that I have to see the world through their eyes, not mine..As a result, we see very little Rembrandt, but a mighty lot of ice cream and souvenir shops, where in the latter they appear to be obsessed with key rings.. Why this should be so.. is completely beyond me, as none of them have any keys! Yet every town we enter, they make a beeline for the first souvenir shop they find... and we proceed to buy more and more key rings. I think my wife has something to do with it all as she tells me they will have a collection at the end of the trip.. All I can see is that I will wake up one day and all my keys will be gone.. artfully disengaged by skilful little fingers, and distributed on to their prized key ring collection.
Reading your blog, I've been touched by the words and thoughts of so many people from all over the world. One of the postings I read turned out to be from my next door neighbour in St. Ives, John Giro, who knows you through RUOK. Some would say that's an amazing co-incidence, but I rather suspect it says more about the huge number of people who you've either helped, or call you a mate.
I'd like to say thankyou for being a huge part of the tour for over 20 years.. The memories are very special. A huge thankyou for all your work in organising the Hawaii tour, it was a fantastic tour that I will never forget, particularly that gorilla of a course where I lost the shield.. Koolau..a beautiful approach from Dick, only a metre short of the green.. but drilled oh so deep into that soft yellow sand..
You will live on in my memory, and in others.. in check pants, timing the ball to perfection, with a magnificent follow through..You have played the game of life very well Gav Larkin. I hope one day, to be as good a dad as you have been to your family.
All my thoughts and love are with you and your family at this time.
Zoot.

No comments:

Post a Comment