RIP Gav

R.I.P. Gav - 21/9/2011 - Our beloved Gavin Larkin passed away this afternoon at 3.28pm. He was surrounded by his family and the love that he has created. He will never be forgotten for who he was, how he lived and what he has left behind. I know I speak on behalf of all that knew him when I say Gav, thank you for being you. The world is a better place for having had you in it.
The Larkin family would like to thank everybody who has contributed to this blog. The messages have been a constant source of support and wonderful memories that the family will cherish forever. They have been overwhelmed by all the good wishes, lovely words, food & flowers. The community around Gavin, Maryanne, Gus, Josie and Van has been wonderful and made an enormous difference. Thank you to all.

May we suggest, if you would like to offer further support, in lieu of flowers, please make a donation to one of the following nominated causes: RUOK? Day Donations or Cure For Life




Monday 8 August 2011

Stu Gregor

I was going to start with something along the lines that this is hard to write but the sheer ineptitude of writing that would be breathtaking, this is not hard, its letters on a keyboard – what you guys are going through is hard.

I’ve long fancied myself as a writer, it comes easy, wine columns in seven minutes was my speciality – I distinctly remember Gav coming over to my place five or six years ago when I was putting together one of my last wine guides and seeing his eyes light up at the 150 odd bottles of wine opened and ready for his consumption. Like a kid in a candy store – and I swear to god he took 50 bottles back with him in the car – right now I’m hoping he didn’t drive but I’m sure he did.

I’m not Gav’s oldest mate or his best mate, circumstances dictate that those relationships are formed much earlier than when we met but I am a good mate and like everyone else at the moment feeling confusion, despair and anger in equal measure. It’s just shit what you, Maz, Gus and the family have been forced to endure, its just so bloody hard to see what good will come from this. RUOK is I suppose a beacon of hope, an initiative so important, so so valuable and it just seems so bloody incongruous that this was created at the edge of this horrible medical precipice. But long may it survive and prosper. What a wonderful legacy.

If RUOK has any single message it’s for blokes like us to share our feelings, to be prepared to be vulnerable and to really give a shit about our mates. It’s hard . . but it’s really not that hard.

So I guess Gav might teach us to be better blokes, he is a good enough bloke himself but to leave a society more aware and more caring is a legacy to which we could all aspire but most will not reach. Like many of us blokes I will miss Gav at lunch, Gav on the golf course, Gav offering forthright, no-nonsense opinions on EVERYTHING, Gav watching the footy, Gav on the drink. I don’t know much about Gav the father or Gav the husband but their hearts must be breaking. The Gregor family sends all its love and affection.

Stu, Sal, Aud and George.

No comments:

Post a Comment