RIP Gav

R.I.P. Gav - 21/9/2011 - Our beloved Gavin Larkin passed away this afternoon at 3.28pm. He was surrounded by his family and the love that he has created. He will never be forgotten for who he was, how he lived and what he has left behind. I know I speak on behalf of all that knew him when I say Gav, thank you for being you. The world is a better place for having had you in it.
The Larkin family would like to thank everybody who has contributed to this blog. The messages have been a constant source of support and wonderful memories that the family will cherish forever. They have been overwhelmed by all the good wishes, lovely words, food & flowers. The community around Gavin, Maryanne, Gus, Josie and Van has been wonderful and made an enormous difference. Thank you to all.

May we suggest, if you would like to offer further support, in lieu of flowers, please make a donation to one of the following nominated causes: RUOK? Day Donations or Cure For Life




Thursday 4 August 2011

Jack Singleton

Gav

It started with a conversation about The Australian newspaper a couple of
years ago.

You'd just done the new ads for The Australian and I told you I thought they
were pretty good.

You being you, you asked me if the ads were so good that they actually made
me put my hand in my pocket and buy The Australian.

I replied “yes”, and that I usually picked up a copy on Monday - for the
media section - and on Saturday - when I had time to read.

You replied "Not good enough, mate. You need to buy it and read it every
day".

In the weeks and months that followed we'd see each other on the track and
greet each other simply “Every day, mate. Every day.”

If we hadn’t seen each other training for a few days, we’d point out to each
other that there’s little point training only once or twice a week, it
should happen “every day”.

Soon “every day” started to mean a lot more than reading a newspaper or
training.

For me it started to mean that there’s no point doing anything if you’re not
going to do it properly. And for things to be done properly, effort needs to
be put in “every day”. Family. Work. Friends. Training.

“Every day.”

Gav, to me you stand for doing things properly.

It’s not about making a massive all night effort the day before the big
presentation.

It’s not about seeing how fit you can get in two weeks.

It’s not about telling the people you love that you love them once a year on
their birthday or at Christmas.

Life is about the things you do every day.

Thanks for helping me realise that.

Every day, mate.

Every day.




Jack Singleton

No comments:

Post a Comment