RIP Gav

R.I.P. Gav - 21/9/2011 - Our beloved Gavin Larkin passed away this afternoon at 3.28pm. He was surrounded by his family and the love that he has created. He will never be forgotten for who he was, how he lived and what he has left behind. I know I speak on behalf of all that knew him when I say Gav, thank you for being you. The world is a better place for having had you in it.
The Larkin family would like to thank everybody who has contributed to this blog. The messages have been a constant source of support and wonderful memories that the family will cherish forever. They have been overwhelmed by all the good wishes, lovely words, food & flowers. The community around Gavin, Maryanne, Gus, Josie and Van has been wonderful and made an enormous difference. Thank you to all.

May we suggest, if you would like to offer further support, in lieu of flowers, please make a donation to one of the following nominated causes: RUOK? Day Donations or Cure For Life




Wednesday 10 August 2011

Lucie Janouskova

“You are about to meet this great, handsome, funny, and very, very, very (!) smart bloke!!”
I still remember this sentence David told me before meeting you for the first time in your Brandshop office in 2007. When I was walking down the little streets in Paddington, instead of focusing onwhat I needed to talk about at the meeting, the sentence was playing on a loop in my head, over and over again… (luckily I knew enough of Aussie slang to understand what ‘bloke’ meant).
Minutes later I understood that David was right, indeed.
This meeting, which resulted in introduction to your creative director and recommendation to Yello brand design, was a door for me to get my first job in Australia in the industry I wanted and it got me the important working visa so that I could stay in Oz with beloved David. I was always very grateful for the advice you gave me then. Not just about the branding industry, which was the purpose of the meeting, but more importantly, about really working hard and deserving great results, and having the willpower to achieve what one believes in and desires.
I remembered it many times since, each time I needed to add a little humbleness into my attitude (this resulted in way too many overtimes but hey, the job was well done!) and also when I needed moreINSPIRATION. I think this would be for me the word that describes you, Gav – an inspiring person. I have seen you on several occasions during my time in Sydney, and although our chats were usually quite brief (as everybody wanted to speak to you so kept jumping in!), it was obvious that you truly are an inspiring husband, inspiring father, inspiring friend and inspiring boss.
When I lived with David, we always talked of you with high regards. In fact, the first time I heard of Gavin was when I still lived in Prague, Dave was on the phone to me, raving about the Brandshop summer party with people all dressed in white! I knew about Gav, his awesome wife Maz (and their friends Wags and Stu) long before I arrived to Oz. It meant nothing to me at the time and I admit, only later on I understood that you guys certainly were worth mentioning to someone on the other side of the globe.
That is where I am now; back in Prague. The difference is, I now know Gav and his loving wife. So I now speak to my European friends about you and I am the one to say “Gav, that great, handsome, funny, and very, very, very (!) smart bloke!!” I speak to people about some Aussie guy, whose inspiration has no boundaries and is not limited by time...
I feel terribly sorry for what you and your family are going through, and my prayers are with you, Maz, the kids, the whole family and friends. I send you all a virtual, but very sincere hug. God bless you all.
Thank you Gavin.

Lucie, Prague

No comments:

Post a Comment