RIP Gav

R.I.P. Gav - 21/9/2011 - Our beloved Gavin Larkin passed away this afternoon at 3.28pm. He was surrounded by his family and the love that he has created. He will never be forgotten for who he was, how he lived and what he has left behind. I know I speak on behalf of all that knew him when I say Gav, thank you for being you. The world is a better place for having had you in it.
The Larkin family would like to thank everybody who has contributed to this blog. The messages have been a constant source of support and wonderful memories that the family will cherish forever. They have been overwhelmed by all the good wishes, lovely words, food & flowers. The community around Gavin, Maryanne, Gus, Josie and Van has been wonderful and made an enormous difference. Thank you to all.

May we suggest, if you would like to offer further support, in lieu of flowers, please make a donation to one of the following nominated causes: RUOK? Day Donations or Cure For Life




Wednesday 31 August 2011

Joseph Talcott

Gavin

Nearly three years ago you came to see Campbell and me about R U OK? Day. And now we’re just a few days away from the third R U OK? Day in Australia. Its success is truly a tribute to your vision and tenacity. I think you should know that although we haven’t had our regular chats about how things are going and how we could do more, Nina and the the team have certainly kept that tradition alive! There is no question that R U OK? Day 2011 will be the biggest and best yet. It is simply remarkable to see something go from an idea to a national event of immense proportion in such a short time. I hope you are very proud, not only of the organisation but of the difference it is making in the lives of people who are asked “Are you OK?”, and those who do the asking.

And now, about you:
You've told me that we must live each day, fully. And we must leave rationalisation attempts behind. I remember when you said “sometimes you can’t look for a reason that something happens...it just is".

Whilst I understand that on an intellectual basis, I still think the current "is" is bloody awful!

Gavin, you have been an inspiration to me. And not just after you got sick. Since we first met I have admired your drive, commitment, energy, common sense, persistence, good humour, and sense of fairness. I count myself very fortunate to have crossed paths with you, however briefly.

Thank you for making a difference in my life.

No comments:

Post a Comment